Building the community into our Community Hebrew School!
We have more than 100 years of Jewish education experience together!
Hours of Instruction
Pre-K/Kindergarten (Gan) and First Grade (Aleph)
Sunday 9:30-12:30 a.m.
Second (Bet), Third (Gimmel), Fourth (Daled), Fifth (Hey), Sixth (Vav), and Seventh (Zayin) Grades
Sunday 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and Tuesday 4:00 -6:00 p.m.
Jewish Community Center of Paramus/Congregation Beth Tikvah
304 Midland Avenue, Paramus, NJ 07652
The Fair Lawn Jewish Center/Congregation B’nai Israel
10-10 Norma Avenue, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
Bar and Bat Mitzvah Preparation
Students will receive Bar and Bat Mitzvah training at their home synagogue, including individual tutoring with clergy. The Hebrew School curriculum will include prayers needed for Bar and Bat Mitzvah.
Fun Holiday Celebrations
- Family programming at each location on the High Holidays
- Ice cream sundae party and family lunch in the Sukkah
- Model Sukkah building contest
- Simchat Torah celebrations
- Chanukah family and community celebrations
- Tu Bishvat Seder and fruit tasting
- Purim carnival and festivities
- Passover model seders and family learning experiences
- Lag B’Omer Annual Barbeque and Sports event
- Cheesecake making and tasting for Shavuot
Pre School Programs
- Monthly programs will be held at each location for the younger children and their parents. Activities are holiday related and free to the community.
Special Programs and Activities
- Kehillah Program – 6th grade students join students from 10 other congregations for special educational programming several times a year. This is partially funded by the Jewish Federation of Northern New Jersey.
- Family Education programs
- Tzedakah projects
- Friday night dinners
- Student participation in synagogue services
- School trips to places of Jewish interest
- UJANNJ Mitzvah Day participation
Outline of the Hebrew School Curriculum
Pre-K/Kindergarten through 1st grade
Our Pre-K/Kindergarten and first grade meet once a week. The children learn about the holidays, the synagogue, prayer and Jewish values. They enjoy music, art and dance while developing a repertoire of Jewish songs, dance, and prayers. First and second grade students begin their Hebrew reading curriculum.
2nd through 7th grades
Our 2nd through 7th grades meet twice a week, on Sunday mornings and Tuesday afternoons, for a total of 5 hours a week. Children develop their Hebrew reading skills, their prayer fluency, and their understanding of the words of the prayers. The five year curriculum includes a detailed understanding of the Jewish Holidays, the weekly Torah readings, Jewish history-including a unit on the Holocaust, and values, Mitzvot, and Jewish current events locally and around the world. They study the history of the State of Israel, and become familiar with Israel today.
Our outstanding devoted faculty, creative curriculum, and exciting programming allow our students to achieve great things during their time at the Community Hebrew School of Bergen County at both our Paramus and Fair Lawn locations (split throughout the school year)
For More Information
Please contact Educational Director Marcia Kagedan, for more information. (201) 815-8136 or email@example.com.